Sandra Lee Photography presents … COLORADO – A Photographic Workshop
“Prairie Chicken Photography Fun”
(Greater Prairie Chickens Dance on a Lek)
April 14 – 17, 2024
Registration NOW OPEN! Inquire HERE.
Workshop leader – Sandy Zelasko
It has been a long time coming but it's finally here! Greater Prairie Chickens in action! Test your bird photography skills, push your ISO comfort zone, how fast can your shutter go and will you be able to keep up with the explosive activity? There aren't many wildlife opportunities which will get your adrenaline going like prairie chicken battles. Your time photographing from a blind will be rewarded with many outstanding images.
We'll spend three mornings and a possible three evenings with the prairie chickens photographing what is an age-old mating behavior as our subjects strut, boom and fight in a courtship display to win over the ladies. This behavior only happens for a short time in spring and is difficult to locate. 95% of existing leks in the US are located on private ranches making it tough for photographers to gain access. This year I was afforded a super opportunity with a highly respected rancher in Colorado and planned this occasion to share with you.
This workshop is designed for all levels of photo enthusiasts. An understanding of basic photography principles is highly recommended. During our Meet & Greet you'll hear about the challenges, the behavior, review the gear and the circumstances which we will be photographing in. If you want to get a head start and learn more, check out Chicks on a Grouse Trip blog and read about the adventures of Christine Pence and myself as we traveled from lek to lek the last couple years learning about and documenting different grouse species.
Join us in for an epic adrenaline rush in Colorado. Everyone will have a front row seat for the action!
Included in Prairie Chicken Photography Fun are three mornings and evenings photographing from a photo blind (provided), personal photographic instruction and attention, an educational meet & greet, small instructor to student ratio and a leader with years of photographic experience. We'll concentrate on greater prairie chickens with the possibility of additional species of the Great Plains.
Not included: travel to/from Wray, CO, lodging, transportation in town (carpooling), meals, alcoholic beverages, trip insurance or gratuities.
You'll get ...
- Trip leader/instructor, Sandy Zelasko who will work to get you in the right place at the right time for stunning imagery.
- Our ranching partner who knows greater prairie chicken behavior and what makes a great photograph.
- 25+ years of combined instructional experience, insured, licensed, CPR/AED/First Aid certified.
- Enthusiastic, passionate and experienced nature photographer pro!
Thank you for considering "Prairie Chicken Photography Fun"
for your next photo adventure!
- For the full benefit of this workshop, it is recommended to arrive Sunday, April 14, 2024 in time for our Meet & Greet at 8:00 PM . We will gather in the lobby of the Cobblestone Hotel, 35952 Hwy 385, Wray, CO 80758 (970)332-5000.
- Three mornings and possibly three evenings of photographing greater prairie chickens from a blind.
- The workshop ends the evening of April 17, 2024. You may wish to extend your stay and see more of what Colorado has to offer.
- We will visit local establishments for breakfast and dinners as a group. Lunches and afternoons are on your own.
DETAILS and RESOURCES:
- The nearest, largest airport is Denver International Airport (DIA), https://www.flydenver.com/. Driving time from Denver to Wray, CO is approximately three hours. There are vehicle rentals available at the airport, https://www.flydenver.com/parking_transit/car-rentals. You do not need a 4WD but high clearance is suggested.
- Cobblestone Hotel, 35952 Hwy 385, Wray, CO 80758 is the recommended location for lodging. https://www.staycobblestone.com/find-a-cobblestone/. There are other hotels in Wray and you are free to make reservations anywhere.
- We will be carpooling to the lek each day. You may be asked to drive others to and from the lek.
- Your instructor has an exciting workshop planned for you however, note that this itinerary will be flexible in response to inclement weather and client safety.
- Plan to be up very early. Our time in the blinds will be determined by activity at the lek, from a couple hours up to five hours.
- A typical day will go something like this: Leave the hotel at 4:50 AM, enter blinds by 5:40 AM. Depending on what time the birds leave the lek, we will pack up and go to breakfast as a group. You will have afternoons to yourself to download and review images or whatever you wish. There is a possibility that we will make use of the blinds for an evening shoot at the lek if conditions are favorable.
- Plan your breakfast to go. We will not have a chance to eat breakfast at the hotel before leaving each day. You may wish to shop for breakfast items an snacks in advance. Bring a refillable water bottle.
- There are no restroom facilities at the lek. It is recommended to keep your water/coffee intake to a minimum in the mornings.
- Suggested packing lists, safety schedule and other information will be sent to you upon registration.
- $1790.00 per participant for three days (six opportunities) of photography from a blind. Two people per blind.
- Open to a maximum of 6 participants (minimum of 5 participants necessary to run the workshop).
- $800.00 deposit due at registration. Balance due 45 days prior to workshop.
- Make payment out to Sandra Lee Photography and mail to 15864 Severino Lane, Valley Center, CA 92082 or call 760-749-2174 to pay with a credit card. Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, check or money order are all acceptable forms of payment.
Still have questions? Contact Sandy at [email protected] or and we will do our best to get you the information you need!
Sandra Lee Photography is not responsible for cancellations due to medical or other emergencies or reimbursement of non-refundable airline tickets in the event of a workshop cancellation. Please consider purchasing travel insurance.
Please enjoy the IMAGE GALLERY below ... a colorful sampling of what is possible!